Monday, December 15, 2008

Change is Coming to My Apartment!

On Saturday, I played host to a Change is Coming meeting - the purpose of which, as suggested by the Obama campaign staff, was to get Obama supporters together from your local area to stay involved in our government now that the election is over. From what I've gathered from looking through the Obama website, hundreds of other people held similar gatherings across the country over the past weekend.

Roughly twenty strangers came to my apartment to visit, meet similarly minded people, discuss the many problems we face going into the new year, and possibly figure out some ways we can begin to fix them. I didn't get to meet all of my guests as fully as I would have liked due to my time getting eaten up from running around trying to play host and moderator, but I get the feeling that most participants left satisfied.

I definitely have some posts in me about organizing, in terms of my own past experiences, this new opportunity in front of me, and how they fit together, but they will come as I have more time to let this current rush of getting back into the swing of things pass so my thoughts can settle. One thing I can say for certain is that one of the most important talents in successful organizing is not worrying about making a fool of yourself in front of strangers - that's one of the few natural advantages I possess.

In the meantime, here are some pictures from our meeting:

No comments:

Post a Comment